Achieve Secure Mobility with MEDITECH Expanse and Forward Advantage
Top Things to Consider for a Mobile Care Team
Mobility Drivers and Challenges
Key drivers for mobility in healthcare include: improving workflow efficiency and communication among clinical staff, satisfying providers’ increasing desire to bring their own devices, and the ability to work with emerging technologies. However, with these drivers come challenges. Ask yourself the following:
- Do you know how to enforce the security of mobile devices and information?
- Do you have a strategy to maintain HIPAA compliance?
- Does your infrastructure have the appropriate bandwidth to support mobility?
- What is your buy-in/adoption strategy?
The below are recommendations for an ideal workflow in a mobile world and some of the things you should consider.
- Ensuring that you have the right patient from the start is critical. The national average rate for patient misidentification errors is ten percent, and six percent of these lead to a medical error. Positive patient identification through biometrics is the key to preventing these types of errors.
- Look at the needs of your providers when evaluating solutions. To create a user-centric culture of mobility, information needs to be seamless, timely, automated, and intelligent. Providers should be in the middle of your mobile strategy with information that’s delivered to the right person, at the right time, and to the right place.
- Virtualization gives providers access to applications from any end-point device with unparalleled reliability. The health and bandwidth of your infrastructure play an important role and can benefit from optimization services.
- Single sign-on and advanced authentication greatly optimize clinical workflows. They allow users to quickly and easily authenticate for secure access to all the applications and information needed to care for patients. There are a multitude of authentication choices, and using the right approach can save clinicians valuable time per shift. This creates more time for direct patient care.
- Are you prepared from a security perspective? Individuals who have remote access traditionally have access to the most sensitive and vulnerable information within your system. Healthcare organizations are attractive targets, because they hold both health and financial information. The HIMSS 2015 Cyber Security Survey showed that phishing and similar attacks are a #1 threat. Additionally, the 2015 Federal Information Security Management Act report to congress noted that 65 percent of cyber security instances could have been prevented with multi-factor security authentication.
Forward Advantage Has the Solutions and Services to Get You There
Forward Advantage offers a variety of solutions and services to create an ideal clinical workflow and accommodate a mobile workforce. Our solutions work together with Expanse, the MEDITECH Web EHR, to streamline access to information for quality care. This includes:
- Intelligent and Automated Report Delivery: Automate clinical alerts and data distribution according to physician delivery and timing preference
- Virtualization Services: Virtual access to applications from any end-point device
- Single Sign-On and Advanced Authentication: Eliminate the hassle of multiple passwords with single sign-on and advanced authentication
- Mobile Authentication: Authenticate from a mobile device with the simple press of a button
- Secure Messaging: HIPAA-compliant mobile messaging that can be integrated with your EMR for anywhere/anytime access to critical data
- Virtual Printing: Secure printing from any location with the tap of a badge
- Authello: Integrate multi-factor authentication and single sign-on with the MEDITECH Web EHR for secure access inside and outside the hospital
Most providers are already mobile, whether organizations are ready or not. Information security in a mobile world is a very real concern, and policies to control text messaging and personal devices are typically ineffective. Mobility in healthcare is here to stay, and the associated technologies should be embraced for the benefits they bring to providers and patients. Healthcare organizations are responsible for providing their care teams with the right workflow and the right technology to compliment the evolving nature of patient care. This means fast and secure access to clinical data from any device and location.
Forward Advantage will be releasing a new article each month focused on our solutions that enhance MEDITECH’s latest direction with Expanse. Fast access to clinical data in a mobile world is possible –without compromising security! Follow our monthly features to learn how Forward Advantage can get you there…
Would you like to speak with a Forward Advantage representative? We are here to help!