Usage Tracking Frequently Asked Questions
Usage tracking (also referred to as telemetry) is a set of tools that provides Forward Advantage insight into the performance and health of your software and system.
Data from the system is sent to Forward Advantage to provide more insight into performance and general system health. This feature uses Microsoft Azure to collect metric and log data.
- Communication Director, Bed Stat, and Data Express version 4.1 with support for Chrome and Edge
- Communication Director API for MEDITECH Expanse (aka: MEDITECH Expanse Forward Advantage Faxing Enhancement)
- Communication Director DesktopFax Document Upload API
- Better analysis of bug reports and the positive impact of improvements delivered through software updates.
- More accurate identification of CPU capacity requirements.
- More accurate recommendations for memory requirements.
- Storage utilization
- Depth of process queues
- Indicators of service failures
- Certification expiration dates
- Database fragmentation
- Compliance with minimum server versions
- Application version/updates applied to the server
Below is an overview of our security measures:
The usage tracking functionality goes to great lengths to protect the integrity and performance of the server by:
- Never collecting PHI in any of the tracked metrics and logs.
- Using read-only methods to collect data, whether from Operating System sources such as WMI or issuing SQL statements.
- Encrypted configuration and credentials, maintaining the integrity of the data collection, and protecting access.
- Data at rest is stored encrypted in Microsoft’s Azure Cloud. See Microsoft’s Azure Monitor and the Azure Trust Center for more information.
- We have a data retention policy and only store data for the lifetime of its usefulness, which is typically no longer than 1 year.
- Forward Advantage leverages Azure Active Directory identifiers and role-based access controls (RBAC) so only those with a need to know can access data.
The system activity required for usage tracking is minimal.
Will Forward Advantage proactively monitor the usage tracking data and use it to create cases on the behalf of customers?
No, not at this time. We will use the information to better serve our customers, however we will not be proactively monitoring the usage tracking data.